Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Following Premier League now because of Özil

As I just said a few days ago, it was about time to find a new club. I was quite hopeful it'd be Manchester United. Monday night it was announced that Mesut Özil was leaving for Arsenal. My initial reaction was shock and unhappiness. It seemed such a step backwards moving to one of those clubs that got rejected by everyone this season. Though no top players signed up for ManU either, at least they got a history of success and recent trophies. Even Chelsea would've been a better fit, since Özil's mentor "the special one" was already there.

Then I heard about the reactions in Spain and the UK. Fans and players of Real were heartbroken, people in London were over the moon. It was really emotional. I never anticipated how popular a German footballer could be in both La Liga and the EPL. The Arsenal idea eventually started to grow on me, when I realized that Özil might become the star of a club where people would adore him. I haven't been interested in the EPL for a while, that's about to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment