Sunday, October 13, 2013

[Rant] Need trilingual keyboard app for android smartphones

I didn't like the keyboard app that already came with my android smartphone, so I installed Go Keyboard which had all the languages that I needed (English, German, Chinese, Korean.) It wasn't until I accidently came upon free trial versions of SwiftKey and A.I.type keyboards, when I realized how slow and unhelpful the word predictions of Go Keyboard were. I'd always been a fast typer, now everything was going even faster!

SwiftKey was by far my favorite, you could type English and German simultaneously without switching back and forth. How smart was that!! And they suggested what I should write next, oh my God, aren't we lazy nowadays? I was tempted to spend 4 Euros on a pro version if only it provided Chinese. But it didn't. I couldn't buy a keyboard app without Chinese obviously, no matter how amazing the app was. Otherwise I'd have to switch between several apps again. SwiftKey wrote on their FAQ page that they allegedly were working on their Chinese. We all know what that means! Until they are able to compete against Sougou standards, it will take years! What is this, @SwiftKey? There are millions of Chinese people using smartphones all over the world, and the number is increasing by the minute. Help me out here, please.

Now I'm using Sougou which has excellent Chinese word predictions, but very sh*y English autocorrection (the worst!) and no German at all. Somehow I can live with the English, even though it can be frustrating at times. Sougou autocorrects all my German words to English ones. I mean really?! Can you at least translate accurately? There is just no way to type single-handed in German on a driving subway. I know that voice messengers are on trend right now, but nobody wants to spend all their limited mobile internet data on sending and receiving those things. Besides it's still weird in public, when everybody can listen to your little audio conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment